You are receiving this newsletter because you expressed interest in the Dismantling the Doctrine of Discovery Coalition. We are a movement of Anabaptist People of Faith who seek to mobilize the church to dismantle the Doctrine of Discovery.
Through this newsletter we hope to better stay in touch with you through sharing articles of interest, event announcement and appeals for your prayers and donations. If you’d like to unsubscribe, scroll to the bottom of this email for instructions. We welcome you to join us in this work in whatever way you are able.
Tim Nafziger, for the Coalition
Reparations to Kaw nation
When her family sold the family farm, Florence Schloneger, a retired Mennonite pastor, chose to make reparations to the Kaw Nation. The Wichita Star interviewed her and Pauline Sharp, a Kaw tribal member and board member of the Kanza Heritage Society. You can watch the video and read the article here.
We hope more Mennonites will follow Rev. Schloneger’s example!
What we did in 2018
We invite you to join our movement to dismantle structures of injustice!
This Coalition collaborates in action and supports the church to learn and step up in a variety of ways. In 2018 we witnessed:
– Study and Bible reflection materials used throughout the Church. You can download your own copy here.
– 2018 Mennonite Heritage Sunday on the theme of “Lament in response to the Doctrine of Discovery.” Read more about our contribution and download the worship resources here.
– Our statement condemning the legal decision that overturned the hard-won law governing the adoption of Indigenous children was joined and highlighted by MCUSA. See this article by coalition co-chair Sarah Augustine for more.
– We contributed human rights language to the Nica Act, a US Senate bill that will withhold military aid to Nicaragua while the rights of Indigenous and vulnerable peoples are being violated.
– Presentations provoking action throughout the church by Sarah Augustine, Discovery: A Comic Lament across the continent (Ted and Company), Loss of Turtle Island (Mennonite Central Committee Central States), and more.
Dismantling the Doctrine of Discovery Coalition members at our March 2018 gathering.
What’s your part in 2019?
Reply to this email and let us know how we can connect and support you! Here are some suggestions.
– I am interested in joining the coalition by being active in one of the committees throughout the year and joining the yearly face-to-face working gathering. See our list of committees here.
– I will organize my people! (e.g. follow and share the coalition’s initiative, organize an event, study or worship series, take steps to right relations and restitution to Indigenous people, host a showing of our documentary, respond to calls for action…)
– Make a tax-deductible donation. Send check to: “PSMC,” “Dismantling the Doctrine of Discovery” in memo line, or donate on line: https://dismantlediscovery.org
Special thanks to Carol Rose, chair of our constituency engagement committee, for putting together the report and invitation above.